header image

Beth Israel Ovbservation

Beth Israel Hospital is located on 1st Avenue and 16th Street. While in my car parked across the street from the hospital I observed the following. The loud bus running, specifically the M15; the bus was accompanied by a lot of other traffic. I also notice big red sight seeing buses, I guess this area has a few interesting sites to see. On the streets were people riding bicycles, both for work and leisure, and people exercising. There are always people who are trying to flag down cabs, and at the same time cabs dropping people off.

There is a subway and lots of restaurants near by, there is a Japanese restaurant, pizzeria, Chinese restaurant, deli, Bagel store, and a Dunkin’ Donuts.

The people were of mixed culture, ethnicity, and age, ranging from old white women to young Asian children. There were people walking in and out of the many business in the area; including a bank, photo lab, flower shop, and pharmacy. The people, who did not walk, ran. Seems like they were running to the subway or they were late for something. There was of course tourist who walked very slow trying to absorb the city. And getting in their way was the people walking their dogs and the normal New York speed walkers. These amazing New Yorkers multitasked as well; almost everyone was listening to their iPod or talking on their cell phones. I found it a bit weird that I was in Manhattan and I did spot too many suit wearers. I guess their all downtown or in midtown.

The Hospital had a lot of traffic at the front entrance. I noticed nurses leaving for the day, going on smoke breaks, getting lunch, or simply just coming out for some fresh air.

<!–[if !mso]> <! st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } –>

At around 2pm students from Stuyvesant High School were also making their way to the subway or to the many restaurants. Speaking of the restaurants, there is a Japanese restaurant, pizzeria, Chinese restaurant, deli, Bagel store, and a Dunkin’ Donuts.

The Hospital had a lot of traffic at the front entrance. I noticed nurses leaving for the day, going on smoke breaks, getting lunch, or simply just coming out for some fresh air. The patients or visitors that were going in and coming out seemed to be mainly comprised of the lower class. I think this has to do with the fact that there is a housing development right across 1st Avenue. The verbal interactions between people of different origins were few. There might be an occasional tourist asking for direction or someone saying “thanks, sorry or excuse me.” The flow of walking traffic was smooth, the native New Yorkers moved without a misstep, while the tourist did not.

~ by nalicia21 on February 21, 2010.

5 Responses to “Beth Israel Ovbservation”

1. Great observations, Nalicia. A few comments:
    – too bad we are missing the buses and cars and many different people in your picture that you describe so well. Your picture seems to show a rather calm street instead.
    – I guess you meant “I did NOT spend too many suit wearers”?
    Otherwise, well done.

2. Very nice write-up. I absolutely love this site.
    Keep writing!

3. It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the long run and it is time to be happy.
    I’ve learn this put up and if I could I desire to recommend
    you few interesting issues or advice. Maybe you can write
    subsequent articles referring to this article. I wish to learn
    more things approximately it!

4. It’s very straightforward to find out any matter on web as compared to textbooks, as I
    found this post at this web page.

5. I do not know if it’s just me or if everyone else experiencing problems with your site.
    It seems like some of the text on your content are running off the screen.
    Can somebody else please comment and let me
    know if this is happening to them too? This might be a problem with my
    internet browser because I’ve had this happen previously.
    Thanks