header image

Final Project Proposal – Taste Shift

My final proposal is one that affects many people and most people might not even recognize it. It’s what you eat, that’s right, I wanted to look at the shift from so called ‘bland’ foods to the more ethnic cuisines that have become so main-stream. Why do I see a Halal cart in almost every neighborhood these days? Why when I ask my husband for dinner options we have choices from all around the world? To study this visually, I will take photos of different foods, ethnic restaurants and food carts, and photos of the lines for ethnic foods versus non-ethnic foods. Also, to understand these changes in people’s taste and the boom of these different cuisines I will perform surveys and interviews, research the history of ethnic restaurants and try to understand what had steered the masses to ethnic foods.

~ by nalicia21 on March 21, 2010.

5 Responses to “Final Project Proposal – Taste Shift”

1. I like this idea. Using the pictures in your interview could be useful. Have you thought about asking participants when photo would they be up for eating (showing a “bland” and ethnic dishes)?

You could also try and find out which is more likely, a person trying/eating ethnic food alone or with others? The increase in ethnic food enthusiasm might be a social thing and people might want to show how cool and hip they are.

Good luck!

2. It’s a great topic and a good start, Nalicia, but I was wondering what your “critical lens” will be? How is this a sociological project? Also, your proposal is still rather broad, so maybe you could it down somewhat, by either focusing on one type of food (Asian? Middle-Eastern? etc) or a particular group of people or neighborhood. What do you think?

3. I will focus on Halal street food. I will discuss the affect that they have on nearby restaurant, the correlation of the increase of Muslim taxi drivers. And the social stigmas associated with eating street food and how they a being changed. Also I would like to interview the vendors and the people eating their food to get what has been driving their success.

4. Yea, I think the social thing might be a factor, but when it comes down to it, if the food taste good your going to keep eating it.

5. Woah this weblog is magnificent i love reading your posts. Keep up the good paintings! You already know, a lot of individuals are hunting round for this information, you could help them greatly.